Friday 30 March 2012

15th March

Set off on my bike in a good mood this morning. It was sunny and pleasant and I had decided I was going the long route to Keighley.

First of all I was going to head up to Queensbury. When I say up it is the highest point in Bradford so it is definitely 'up'. Very nice ride up to Shelf and then I took a turn off Halifax Road and that's where the 'up' started. I soon had sweat pouring down my face. I eventually got into Queensbury and carried on up to the top of the Brighouse and Denholme Road. That is where the legs got a rest but the arms started working, on the brakes.

I got to the lights where you turn left up to Denholme (hmm all that whizzing downhill and more 'up'again). More lights, a right turn and I was heading into Denholme village. Then as I was just leaving the edge of Denholme a young guy, wearing an open shirt, earphones and no helmet suddenly passed me. He kept pedalling but I was right behind him up the hill and I shouted encouragement to him. He pulled his earphones out and we exchanged a few words. He had cycled from Halifax but he was impressed when I told him where I had cycled from (not that much further really) and where I was heading.

He turned off to Cullingworth and I carried on across more open land, moors and fields all around. Eventually all that 'up' was rewarded with lots of 'down' into Keighley.

I cycled through the town centre and headed for the roundabout where I could go on the Bingley bypass or go through the village of Riddlesden. I decided to go to the sandwich shop in Riddlesden so positioned my self accordingly at the roundabout, waited for the lights and then parrrrrrrrpppppppp! The woman in the car behind me was pointing at her head and effing and blinding at me. For what? I have no idea. I had done everything right, had waited at the lights was in the correct lane and the correct part of the lane. She cut right in front of me and came off the roundabout so I followed her.

She went into B & Q car park so I pulled up alongside her parked car and waited until she got out. I aren't aggressive and not usually confrontational and on this occasion I was only going to ask her what she surmised I had done wrong. As she got out of the car she stuck her finger right in my face and shouted 'you are not going to intimidate me!' Me intimidate her! I was sat astride my bike! So I started to ask, still politely, what I had done wrong wherein she then put the palm of her hand in my face and said she wasn't talking to me!!!! Obvious then who was in the wrong or she would have said. She then stormed off into B & Q. Silly woman!

I carried on up to the sandwich shop where I had a wonderful bacon butty and a cup of coffee. A nice chat with the owner and a little boy who came in with his mum and I was settled again.

When I set off again I decided to join the canal until I got to Shipley. That was a pleasant change from cars and silly women. Once in Shipley I left the canal and headed up to Frizinghall, which eventually drops into Manningham and then Bradford City Centre.

The last bit of real effort was up Manchester Road. Then it was back on the ring road, Tong Street and home. 35 miles done in perfect weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment