Sunday 24 January 2010

Training Commences At Last


I am cycling to Hamm in Germany and back in May and training has so far been really sporadic. I did start going on a few cycle rides before Christmas. The first one was 10 miles and I had forgotten how hard I find hills. I managed 21 miles not long before Christmas but then the snows came!

On Christmas Eve I did something to my knee as I bent to poke the fire and it hurt all Christmas Day. Then by complete coincidence I did something to my back on Christmas Night as I was dealing with the fire again. What with the snow and the stupid injuries I wasn't able to go out again until yesterday.

I am going to Hamm with a group of other riders and we will have Support Riders and Support Drivers. The Support Riders are there to encourage you in the training and keep you going when you are falgging on the real ride. The Support Drivers are there to carry luggage in the van, to load up bikes if you have to pack in the riding due to injury or whatever and to carry supplies for us. I believe there will be a van and a people carrier at least.

I started coughing mid week which seems to have turned into a chest infection and today I have been almost non-stop sneezing.

Friday I met up with a friend and we went to a Spinning class for the first time. I managed about half of it! My legs really didn't want to know. We then did a short session on a treadmill - about 15 minutes. Then Emma had to go to pick up her son so I stayed on at the gym and had a swim, jacuzzi and sauna.

Yesterday I was supposed to meet up with my group of cyclists but I got there a bit late and they had gone. So I took myself over to a place I know and joined the Leeds-Liverpool canal towpath. Blimey that was tougher than I expected. I did 12 miles out. Stopped for a drink and then returned again. Thought my legs were going to fall off and boy did my backside ache despite the padded cycle pants I was wearing.

I felt wiped out for the rest of the day and I only managed an average of 9mph.

I did this ride two years ago and it was an uphill struggle to get fit but i did 540 miles in the week including one day when I did 108 miles. How the hell did I ever manage that? This time the training is going to be harder as we started training later and the ride is a month earlier. I am also 1.5 stones heavier than I was then.

No comments:

Post a Comment