Wednesday 1 June 2011

1st June

Well I have managed to sleep the whole of May it seems as my blog hasn't a single entry for May.

Anyway, I am doing a Juneathon which is like the Janathon I did in er, January and I will be trying to do some form of exercise every day in June.

Blogs are always better if you can add photos as the pictures illustrate the words and the words bring the pictures to life. However my camera has decided to pack in so I apologise for lack of photos. (Stop press I did manage to take a few of the Whitewater course on my phone so have now added them)

As it is school holidays, my daughter Isobel and I decided to go to the Lido in Ilkley. It wasn't a particularly warm day and when we got there there didn't seem to be many cars in the car park. Ha, must remember to check opening times before setting off. It didn't open until 11.30 so with an hour to kill we went into Ilkley town centre then returned at a more appropriate time. By this time it was a mixture of sunny and overcast and there was a total of three hardy souls in the lido. Not a wonder to be honest. I got in and paddled ankle deep and quickly got out again, repeat twice! Then I got braver and went to thigh deep, then bit by bit I managed to go deeper but when I tried to swim it took my breath away. Then I realised we had paid quite a bit of money to torture ourselves, perverse!




It took Isobel a bit longer to freeze her assets but we eventually ran up and down waist deep for a couple of lengths and then I started swimming. Once acclimatised I got into the lengths area which by now was empty and I did 10 lengths. Isobel wouldn't swim so was getting bored on her own so we chased each other around the pool for a while then got out and had a lovely warm shower.

We then went into Otley and got some lunch. Isobel had been getting texts from some lads she knows through canoeing. They were up at Washburn which is about 7 miles from Otley. It's just below a reservoir and various groups can pay for the reservoir to release water for a guaranteed whitewater course. Our canoe club will be doing it next weekend. So I said we would go up to see them. The lads were surprised and delighted that she turned up (she seems to be a bit of a siren at the moment so they are like moths to a flame.

She walked the full length of the water course with one of the guys and got a lift back up. So I walked most of the course and walked back again, this took me about an hour so I reckon about three miles in all.

The lads asked her to go down the whitewater course on the raft but she refused at first although she has done it many times before. Eventually she agreed and borrowed the gear, rash vest, wetsuit, wet boots, b.a. and helmet from various people and off she went.








After what seemed like an age she returned in the van. In the meantime I had read the local paper from front to back, read the supplement, attempted the crossword, read a magazine and had been for a coffee. She then announced she was going down again. I love it when she does these things but I was envious as I had no gear.

Someone from our canoe club arrived and he asked me to go down the course in the raft but I had to decline due to no gear. I'm a big lass so it was doubtful anyone would have any spare gear that would fit me. I would have so loved to have had the opportunity.

So after another eternity had passed Isobel arrived back. We eventually got home at 8.30pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment