Saturday 4 June 2011

4th June

Bear woke me up this morning at 5.4am as he wanted to go out. He's very forceful when he wants something so after jumping on me and barking enough to wake the street up.

I felt strangely tired this morning which is unusual for me in a morning. Having said that I knew last night that I was starting with a cold so I assume this was the reason. I decided we were going to the car boot sale this morning. Isobel and I love them and this one is usually quite good. As it has been warm and sunny for the last couple of days it was very busy this morning. Strangely there was very little for us today though. Isobel got a new pair of black canvas trainers for £1 and I got a couple of pairs of Silkies tights for 50p per pair (they are good quality and are usually around £4.50 per pair). Having said that it was a good walk, lol.

This afternoon we went down to Oakwell Hall with the kites. We recently bought these on Ebay and one needed repairing. The strings were overstretched onit so Peter had sorted it out. There were three of us and two kites. One is about 2 metres, the other is 3.6 metres. We started off with the smaller one and although it flew it kept collapsing (think defective parachute) but Peter blamed it on Isobel's technique. I had a go bout the sun was just where the kite was flying so it was blinding. So there was a lot of running backwards and forwards to retrieve the landed kite, untwist it and set it off again.

Meanwhile Peter got the other kite out and had to do a bit of macrame to sort out the strings. The first two times it went up it twisted or a line popped off but he managed to sort that out and then took to flying it. This one is flown with a bar rather than two separate handles. After a while he shouted me across to take over and boy was there some power behind it. It didn't take me off my feet but is did pull me across the field several times. When my arms were aching I passed it over to Isobel and it really did drag her across the field both on her feet and on her knees. Peter took over again and this time it yanked him on to the floor and how he held on to that bar I do not know!

So a couple of hours later we packed up and went home. Never let anyone tell you that power kite flying is a genteel sport. It is more like Pilates with fresh air.

I have now developed a full blown cold, headache, sneezing, runny nose and ultra tired. It's unusual for me to get a cold and I hate it when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment