Friday 18 May 2012

A Little Ride Alone.

Feeling very positive today, Wednesday 16th May, so decided I was off for a bike ride on my own. Several people have said they would meet up with me in the past but with one thing and another it has never happened and I have often talked myself out of going out but I don't know why!!!

Anyway that nearly happened again today. Eventually though I left home at 11.30 am and headed towards Queensbury. This is an area of Bradford that borders Halifax and is the highest point in Bradford. Therefore, as you can imagine, it is somewhat uphill to the village. After much huffing and puffing I eventually got there.


When you think that you are finally on the top of the world, well Queensbury, there is more uphill to come. Straight through at the lights, that's a first, and a little more climb and I was at the top. A little further through the village and the downhill starts a bit but it is open moorland here. Then it's downhill along the road towards Denholme.

Before you get to Denholme though there is a stretch of road that is uphill again. Not horribly uphill but there is a strong headwind and I feel like I am losing the battle up here. At last I get to the lights and another first, straight through these ones too. Then it is a pleasant slightly downhill ride into Denholme village. Not forgetting the sharp turns where various pieces of deceased car lie next to remains of walls. Both villages have some interesting older properties and some great views.

After that is is not too bad going although again there is open moorland and headwinds to try and put me off. I might be slow but I am determined! I pass the Flappits, rocky moorland where there was a lot of motorcycle off roading activity for over 50 years but the council have closed it recently due to 'Health and Safety' As I'm heading down here at speed my phone starts ringing. No way can I or will I answer that now!






Now there is a long, downhill stretch that is quite busy and heads into Keighley. Wheeeeeeee!

Arriving in Keighley my first thought had been to head back from there but I was enjoying myself enough to carry on a bit more so I headed for Utley and Eastburn. This is the old road to Skipton before the bypass was built. You see so much more on a bike than you ever do in a car. There are old properties that are converted into care homes, big old manor type houses and you can only imagine what they were like in their hay day.

Arriving in Eastburn the railway crossing barriers were down and we had to wait for two trains in opposite directions passed through. An Asda lorry was very impatient with me when the barriers lifted as the lane was too narrow for him to pass me so he tried to harrass me by revving loudly right behind me. Eventually I escaped him and was on the bypass back towards home.

The bypass provides a fast route back into Keighley and I then leave it to go to a lovely little sandwich shop in Riddlesden. The owner remembers me from the last time I went in and she remembers that I am doing a charity ride to Germany and back.

Having eaten I set off again and decide to get on the canal towpath. I felt happy and at home on here as I have done this many times. Originally I was going to leave it in Shipley town centre but decide to leave it at Saltaire to see if the climb is a little less traumatic than out of Shipley. It certainly has fewer people around to see me climbing, red-faced, up the hill. I come out at a very busy, notorious roundabout.

I waited my turn and made sure it was safe for me to go. Then an idiotic driver of a flat bed van (Bingley Fencing)looked me straight in the eye and pulled out right in front of me and stopped! I braked hard and didn't have a problem stopping but that was no thanks to him.

Straight back into Bradford after that and through the city centre and my last long climb up Manchester Road, not steep but a fair distance. A quick drink at the top and I was on the last leg home.

Forty one and a quarter miles precisely.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an inspiration you are! I'm very impressed. I keep telling myself to get back in the pool and start huffing and puffing to good use, but life and the morning bed magnets keep me totally unfit.

    I look forward to hearing about your trip to Germany. When is it?

    Take care,
    Susan in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Susan. I've never really been an inspiration to anyone! The bike ride is 10th June - 17th June. OMG that is so close now. I like swimming but I am really into aquarunning at the moment. That is fun but effective. Have you tried it? Helena x

      Delete