Sunday 13 May 2012

A TRIPLE WHAMMY

This weekend has seen quite some exercise in one way or another.

Saturday 5th May 2012

Today was Disabled Cycling Club day but instead of the usual messing around the park where we are based. A day was organised a little further afield - down the Spen Valley Greenway.

Bikes were loaded in various vehicles and people too. Isobel and I met them at the top of the Greenway as we don't live too far away. Bikes were allocated and checked and just before we set off Isobel's tyre popped. Richard Taylor was quick to get a new tube in there and pump it up but he then noticed the wheel was badly buckled so we swapped it for the day with the spare one that they had brought up from the container.

All bikes sorted and all people allocated to instructors we set off down the Greenway. I had James who was on a two wheeler with stabilisers and Kirsty who was on a two wheeler. Almost as soon as we had set off Kirsty had a bit of a problem with the bike and while we were sorting that out James shot off with another group so I lost him.

I chatted to Kirsty and we eventually came across Rich and Steve Farleigh trying to repair little Charlie's bike. His pedal had dropped off. I lent them some tools and set off again with Kirsty. Not long after Steve and Charlie caught me up and Steve asked if I could watch Charlie as well Kirsty.

Kirsty has balance problems and last year she was riding a trike, then progressed to a two wheeler with stabilisers and then to a two wheeler without stabilisers. So when she fell off I wasn't really surprised but she picked herself up, dusted herself down and said 'Its alright, I'm a tough cookie'

A bit later she veered into a member of the Skyride who were coming the opposite way. She was very apologetic and said she felt bad but the other person had realised it was an accident. Anyway we carried on and Charlie had a little tumble. He is only seven, doesn't have any problems but was a game little lad.

At the bottom we turned round along with Richard Tearle's group and we headed back. Charlie was beginning to lag a little but kept going. We eventually got back as far as Tesco where we all met up. This is where we all had our lunch. Charlie was going to get on the minibus but I persuaded him to do the rest of the ride.

I was so chuffed and proud of the whole lot of them but particularly proud of 'my' two who completed the whole ride, 15 miles.

Sunday 6th May 2012

The day dawned bright, cool but sunny. Richard and I were first to arrive at Otley Car Park and bit by bit 8 of us turned up. Gareth was a first timer with us.

After a quick chat it was decided that, as Mike wasn't there to lead us astray, we were heading towards Bolton Abbey and then we 'would see' what happened from there.

There were eight of us out and about today. Seven quite fast people and me! So off we sprinted!!!! On the by pass on the bottom road towards Ilkley, over the river and past Nell Bank. Occasionally there was a bit of banter but not so much from me as I was, as usual, at the back.

We were soon near Bolton Abbey and Peter decided he wanted to take some photos of us on the stepping stones there. I was first across followed by Steve and then Phil. The others wimped out and crossed the bridge.





After this diversion we got back on the road and then dropped down to Cavendish Pavilion where we weren't sure what was happening but it soon become evident that it was just a toilet stop before we carried on to Burnsall.

Across the bridge and then uphill, not too bad but then we came to more of an uphill and I got a round of applause for getting there without stopping albeit behind everyone else. A steep downhill ensued and then came THE UPHILL. OMG (for want of a better phrase) I tried but failed so walked up the rest of the way as did virtually everyone else (phew). First time in four years that I have got off and pushed my bike up a hill.

After that everything was an anti-climax. Lots of lumpy bits but we got to Appletreewick without any major traumas. Here Peter Davison pulled up to point out a bench that said 'In Memory of Peter Davison' So we got a photo of him laid on it in a funereal pose.



Then we carried on to Burnsall where we stopped at the kiosk for a bite to eat and a drink. One bacon and egg butty and a cup of coffee and I was ready for off again.

The return journey was not easy but there was no great mishaps so we did well. When we got to the Ilkley by pass there was a front-runner group who totally vanished from view. Richard and Neil held back to support me and we bombed up there at 17/18 mph although the others had managed to touch 23 mph! Felt good when I finished although it did feel like more than 40 miles.

Monday 7th May

Bank Holiday Monday was quite a nice morning so we decided to go to the seaside and see if Peter's mum was in. We loaded the dogs into the back of the car, a kite and my bike.

When we got about 20 miles away from Mablethorpe I changed to wheel power. Peter and Isobel carried on their journey in the car. I thought it would be a relatively easy ride as Lincolnshire isn't renowned for it's hills however I had not thought about the coastal headwind and lack of cover along the route!

I set off fairly quickly but soon slowed down to around 11 mph. To my credit though I kept going and had a good but uneventful ride into Mablethorpe. I met up with Peter and Isobel and we went onto the beach to walk the dogs and fly the kite.

There wasn't a lot of people about and the weather was beginning to look a bit threatening but we had about an hour of flying and ball throwing before the weather took a turn for the worst. Sowe returned to the car and I got changed.

Then we visited Peter's mum and her husband Derek. A nice cup of coffee and a lot of chat later and we were off on homeward journey again.

What a lovely Bank Holiday Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment