Sunday 25 April 2010

An unexpectedly short ride

Yesterday was a training group outing the penultimate one before the real ride.

We met up at Poole but there were only four of us turned up. Mike, our support rider, Ian, the support rider for the Sports Group, Phil and myself. Mike seemed in a funny mood. First thing he said to me was that if I didn't feel up to it I should consider dropping out at a place where I could get back from....I thought he was supposed to support me. He then announced the ride should be near on 80 miles today. (blooming heck or words to that effect!)

Ian was only out for a leg loosener as his group were going out today.

We set off on the Arthington Road to get our legs warmed up. Then we went to Kirkby Overblow where a nemesis of a hill comes into play. This is an area where we nearly always see red kites flying around and today was no exception. Mike suggested that I might want to go back with Ian when he turned back. A short rest at the top of the hill and we were off again. Ian stayed with me and we chatted along the way.

We climbed the hill into Sicklinghall and then Ian stopped to say this is where he was turning back. Mike again thought it was prudent that I also go back. I had aready got the message that they didn't want me there slowing them down.

So Ian and I went back. We took the Lanes back to Weeton this time so we had a long hill to get back up but it didn't feel so bad when my legs still felt fresh. Back through Castley and we were back at the car again.

















Half of me was relieved, the other half disappointed. Only did 20 miles today.

No comments:

Post a Comment