Friday 23 April 2010

A mixture of movement

Part of the assault course.


On Tuesday we had a team building session at Nell Bank in Ilkley. It was all day but what great fun it was.

The day started with finding someone you didn't know, preferably. We had to work in pairs with one person blindfolded, the other had to guide them around and over a bench. Then we had to swap over and do the same again. After that we had to find a new partner and guide them around a childrens adventure playground and then end up coming down the slide together. A changeover meant I was lead under and over a few obstacles and then had to walk a narrow beam with a step in it.

Next we did a bit of orienteering. This time it was as a bigger team, seven of us in my team. We had to find 12 numbered discs around the grounds. Quite a bit of running back and forth was involved here. Our team won this one.

Then we had lunch (lasagne and cheesecake to follow in my case). Then we had to go and save the Nellbanian frog and duck. This consisted of using planks of wood as skis and working as a team to move the skis. Then we had to do various other mindbending and physical tricks. Lastly we had to get the whole team around an assault course along with a rubber chicken, a plastic baguette and a tray of water. We had to try not to spill the water. The person with the goodies could not move their legs so we had to work out how to transport ourselves and the goodies around the course. We were the first to finish and out of six groups we had the third most amount of water at the end of the course.

We had a great day and i wish we could do it all again.



Wednesday I went to aquarobics at Richard Dunn's Sports centre. Thirteen of us turned up for this session. I hadn't been for a few weeks for one reason or another so made the most of this one. I still get annoyed when the older ladies use the foam 'weights but swing them around in the air rather than under the water! I followed it up with 30 lengths in 20 minutes.

Yesterday I went out for a ride on my bike. Decided to go to Castleford Outlet centre. It was a gorgeous day so my poor little leggies had to endure the great outdoors in shorts again. I set off just after 10 am and the roads were fairly quiet. I soon got to Country Baskets where you are suddenly at the top of a steep winding road......weeeeeeeeeeee........only trouble is on the return journey it is all uphill!

I remembered the route from two years ago so was pleased with myself on that but also remembered that there are a lot of downhills on the way there so the return is going to be harder.

I got to Castleford in 1 hour 11 minutes.

I had a wander around the outlet centre and bought a purple wrapover fleece top for £6.49 and a bra and brief set for £8, bargain! Then I went to Thorntons cafe and had a cappucino and a scone. Then sorted myself out for the uphilly return.

I am pleased to say I managed it up all the hills without stopping although a couple did try their best to stop me. There is one that I never got up when I was training the last time but managed it on the return from Hull on the very last day of the ride. I managed it again yesterday.





A FITTING TRIBUTE TO AN EX-COLLIERY VILLAGE




I did the return journey in 1 hour 47 minutes. 12 mph average for the whole trip.



Last night I did my usual circuit training class but Amanda (one of our partners in the other houses) came with me. She is like a whirling dervish. She puts everything into her exercise. At the end of the session she said she had really enjoyed it and would be returning again.

Today I had to go into Keighley for a photo session with one of the vans we are going to be using for the trip. Richard, Woody and myself turned up as riders, John Coulton and Carla as support drivers.

Finally this evening we went canoeing. We took back the borrowed canoe. Mike was the only instructor there but it was fairly quiet anyway. Had a reasoanbly good session and I was tutored in scullying. Still haven't mastered it but nearly there.

No comments:

Post a Comment