Saturday 8 May 2010

Last Training Ride

The last training ride was last Sunday 2nd May. It was originally planned to be a dress rehearsal ride to Hull. Then because of logisitics it was decided that we would do half the route and then return. At the last meeting it was decided that we would do 30-40 miles that day to practise being in a group as a lot of people haven't been turning up for training rides so they haven't got into that group mentality.

The route was planned as starting from Pool. I set off in glorious sunshine wearing my shorts. BIG mistake!!! When I arrived at the start it was freezing and threatening to rain. The whole group turned up. We set off and, sure enough, it was soon raining and very cold.

It soon became obvious that Dean and Hailey were struggling with gears. Hailey's fitness will help her, I'm not sure about Dean though. He's a lovely bloke but woefully under prepared I fear.

We got past Sicklinghall and not far out of Wetherby when Mike made an executive decision and asked Richard to go back with Dean and Hailey. I opted to go with them as I was cold. This gave the others a chance to go a bit faster too.

We set off back and by about 20 miles Hailey was asking how much further to go!!! When we got back we had done 25 miles and when I pointed out to Dean that Monday and Tuesday were going to be four times that he nearly fell off his bike.

Anyway tomorrow is the big day and so the next time I write on here will be after the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment