Wednesday 2 June 2010

Juneathon

Monday 31st May - Bank Holiday

We got up reasonably early to go canoeing up at Sleningford in North Yorkshire. There hadn't been much rain and the water levels were never going to be high.

Isobel's friend, Leah, came with us. We kitted her out in all the gear but we only took two boats with us, Peters and the one I have borrowed from the club.

When we got up to Sleningford it was fairly busy but as anticipated the water levels were low. We burbled around at the bottom end to begin with and then dragged the boats further up and came through the 'rapids' back to the bottom part. Isobel and Leah were mainly playing in the water or sitting on the rocks and sliding down with the tide.

We got out and let the girls get in out boats. Leah was a little bit apprehensive but did really well and soon lost her fear. They both took the boats further up and came down the last bit of the rapids and the only problem they had was getting stuck on the rocks due to the shallow water.










The girls were getting cold so decided to call it a day and went to get dressed. However Peter and I dragged our boats up to the hole. Looking at it for a while I decided not to do it because the water was too low and, being heavy, I was more likely to get stuck on the rocks. Peter managed it after getting stuck. I re-launched at the bottom of the hole and we both travelled back down to the bottom, flat part of the river and we then decided we were hungry and thirsty and we got out as well.

Tuesday 1st June

I had intended atarting the Juneathon but went into a downward spiral quite early on in the day. I had an argument with Isobel about money. It was her 13th birthday recently and she had £85 in total after buying a memory card for her camera. She has bought a few items but I was shocked to find that she only had £20 left as most of it has been frittered away.

Unusually for me I couldn't shake the negative feelings off all day and even a nice little wander around the charity shops in Cleckheaton didn't help. Consequently I ate some rubbish today and then slept on the sofa which annoys Peter intensely.

Wednesday 2nd June

Ok so today is the real start of my Juneathon. The Juneathon is meant as doing some form of activity everyday all month. It doesn't have to be major as long as you do something.

I woke up at 5.30am and wasn't sure whether to run or take the dogs for a walk first. I decided to run. Instead of going elsewhere I set off from home and ran to the top of our road and along Tong St to Dudley Hill. I am amazed at how many people are out and about at 6am. There was a steady flow of traffic and plenty of pedestrians about. I did 39 minutes of run 2, walk 1 and then walked for about 4 minutes home.

A quick change of clothes and I then took the dogs out for a walk. We walked down the moors, where they had a short run about after a stone but someone else came on the moor with a dog so I had to put Bear back on the lead. He is a bad boy where other dogs are concerned. We came out onto Station Lane and past Birkenshaw first school. Up the snicket and round an estate and we eventually come back up to the moors. Back up the moors and we were back home again.

All this before 7.30am! Therefore I am back on track for the Juneathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment