Sunday 3 October 2010

Blackpool Trip

Yesterday I was up early, too early really.

Got on the coach with Isobelto go to Blackpool and had a pretty uneventful journey. By the time we got off the coach I was desperate for the loo and McDonalds was the nearest place to go to. It was nearly lunchtime anyway so I got a Deli sandwich and Isobel got a McChicken Sandwich.

We then walked for a good 20 minutes or so down to the Pleasure Beach. Once we got through the entrance wearing our shiny new wristbands the sky was the limit for the rides. The main one I wanted to get on was The Big One, never quite managed it for one reason or another. They said it would open later on.

So first up we queued for the Ghost Train. Pathetic is not the word for it. There weren't even any dangly bits to give you the creeps. Next we headed for the Space Invader as that was my favourite ride. I noticed it wasn't mentioned on the leaflet but someone in the Ghost Train queue told me they had seen it. Unfortunately the building for it is still there but the ride was closed down for some reason.

Next we walked round to the Revolution. Been on this numerous times before but Isobel never had. There was quite a queue again but we eventually got there. All too soon it was over and we were back in the start position. Boy that made my head feel fuzzy.

We had a wander around and decided on the Steeplechase next. This is a ride where you sit on a mechanical horse and go round a race track. There was only a seat belt holding us on the horse and it took some severe swings at times. Good fun though.

Next up we went on the Gold Mine. Rather like the Ghost Train without the weird bits. In fact the actual ride was better than The Ghost Train but very tame.

I suggested we go and try Valhalla but Isobel wasn't keen as it meant getting wet. The signs outside it say you will get wet and you may get soaking wet. I had my waterproof jacket on but Isobel only had a hoodie and jeans. I noticed that they were selling plastic capes for £1.50 as we got further down the queue so I bought her one. When we got inside the building there were Viking Longships slowly making their way through but never stopping so you had to be quick to get on. I pulled my hood up and made sure my bag was well covered by my jacket. Then the fun began. We started by going through a wall of water and down a dark tunnel. There were several places where water was squirting at us. We went through a windy place, a very hot part and a freezing cold part. All the while the boat was sloshing through the water and it got everywhere. Even our underwear was damp!

We decided to have a break after this and have something to eat. After an expensive cheese and ham toastie and a coffee we set off again. We had a bit of a play on the 2p machines and then went to the Ice Blast. Another long queue and my feet were aching by now. We eventually got our turn on this high tower ride. It is one of those where it shoots you to the top of the tower very suddenly and very fast and then stops and drops you just as suddenly. There was a good view of the sea from the top. My one regret is the The Big One never did open so I missed out again.

We had both had enough by now so we started the walk back towards the coach park. Isobel wanted some rock or rather a rock dummy so I indulged her. Then we walked on.

A quick visit to Home Bargains for some bottled water for the return journey and then we went to MaccyD's again so that Isobel could get a bite to eat before we set off back again. As it turns out I'm glad we did that.

We got back on the coach and they headed for the North end of Blackpool so that we could ride through the lights. Goodness knows what happened but we were two hours waiting in a line of traffic before we even started on the lights. Both of us had fallen asleep before we got to them. I did wake briefly and saw some Alice in Wonderland lights.

They cut the lights short and we headed home. All was going well until nearly home when we hit four lanes of traffic. They had shut all but one lane further up to rebuild a bridge and it caused horrendous tailbacks. We eventually got home around midnight.

At least I had done my quota of exercise and I hadn't given in to temptation of any rubbishy food etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment