Thursday 25 March 2010

A joint training ride with the Sports Group!

Last Sunday morning dawned clear and cool. We all met up at Guiseley Station in various modes of dress. The Sports Group looked (mostly) sporty and the Leisure Group were the usual mishmash ranging from lycra clad to sunny holiday wardrobe mode.

In our group there were seven of us. Lead by Mike, with support from Richard and bringing up the rear was yours truly. Included in the group were Peter, John and John Jnr and Mark.

We set off from Guiseley and I assumed we would be going down the hill into Otley but no, the Sports Group lead us straight up a blooming hill or two. How can you go down into Otley by going up!!! Rounding the first corner I saw a glimpse of the Sports Group disappearing into the distance. Having done 49 miles two days before my muscles were still aching and that hill set the scene for the day. That was the last that we saw of the Sports Group until later in the day.

We came down the Chevin and landed in Otley and then set off on our usual group ride through the lanes to Knaresborough. It was always apparent that I would not be able to keep up with their speed. Everytime there was a hill we would re-group at the top, where the rest of them had had a rest and then we would set off again. Throughout the ride one or other of the guys was always 'babysitting' me! Making sure I was alright.

All was going well until they decided we weren't going to take our usual off road track but go by road. Not a good move! We carried on until the end of the road. Turned right, followed it to the left and set off up a hill until we got to a roundabout where we took a right. Then Mike stopped and decided we had gone wrong and we should have gone straight on.

We corrected this and carried on uphill for about 100 miles, or so it felt. Richard, who was keeping me company at the back, and I noticed a sign showing Knaresborough to the left so of course at the next opportunity the group had turned right! We eventually decided that we should carry on right and go up to the road and turn right again (are you still with me?). This new road also went uphill for another 100miles and this time I had John Jnr with me (I think it was more by accident on his part rather than design). The rest of the group had got a move on and disappeared again. We arrived at a roundabout and it showed a right turn to Knaresborough which was only 1 mile away and downhill, yippee! John and I set off down this road.

Alas my joy was short-lived when Richard suddenly re-appeared and said we had gone the wrong way and the rest of the group had gone on uphill to the next roundabout. How can one journey have so many uphills with so few downhills? We re-grouped at this familiar roundabout and headed in our usual direction for Knaresborough.

On arriving at the cafe we found a right rowdy bunch of cyclists in there headed by our very own Ian Wood. After an exchange of stories of how we got there, we decided to go and sit outside in the sun. Ten minutes out there and we realised it wasn't as warm as we had thought. Beans on toast were consumed but the drinks hadn't arrived so we adjourned to the inside part of the cafe as the rowdy bunch had now cycled off into the distance.

Scones and drinks finished we then re-adjusted ourselves and set off again. We went back on the normal return journey with nothing untoward happening along the way. The long climb up to Weeton took it's toll on me and Richard tried to slow to my pace to keep my spirits up. He had to give in and go a bit quicker though. I have never had to get off the bike on any hills though so that's a plus. When I arrived at the top of the world er I mean Weeton I was ever so slightly shaky so asked Richard if I could nick his Go Gel.

Off we went again and stopped for a quick chat just before the main road. Mike decided it was probably wise for me to stop at Otley and get a lift back to my car. I tried arguing but he wouldn't hear of it. So we pootled into Otley, where I took my leave and disappeared into Sainsburys for a milky drink and then went to the car park to await my lift.

Peter came and dismantled my bike and took me and it up to Guiseley and back to my car. I was tired but I wasn't dying or aching too badly.

A nice warm bath soothed my muscles and I was good to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment