Wednesday 10 March 2010

Canoeing down the River Ure

I'm getting later and later at posting about my activities!

Last Sunday we got up before it was decent to on a Sunday really. Isobel (my daughter) and I needed to get our gear sorted for the canoe trip. We always try to get things sorted the night before but then remember something in the morning that can never be found. On this occasion it was kayaking gloves. Searched high and low and I decided to take my cycling gloves in the end.




It was an absolutely beautiful day, cold but clear and sunny. I drove up to Ripon as fast as I dare and only just this side of legal speedwise. Amazingly we got there dead on time. After a bit of discussion we travelled up to the starting point in Andy's car while Peter waited for the drivers to return and bring them up to the start as well.

As the weather was gorgeous there was a big turnout, so we split into groups of 4 or 5. In my group the leader was Adrian. Then there was Peter (Stephen's dad) and Richard who used to come to the pool. All are much better than I am at canoeing. Isobel was in a different group to me by choice.

The first weir is only a very short distance from the start so we were soon down that. Then we had a play at ferry-gliding. I didn't do too badly. A few more weirs and bubbly water later and we had ferry-glided a fair few times. It was nice to just chat to others and we kept meeting up with the other groups. Isobel was doing really well as she wasn't squawking and complaining for a change.

Eventually we got to a point where we all got out and stretched our legs. A cup of hot chocolate and some min choc digestives went down really well here.

We launched back onto the river and carried on down getting stuck on rocks a few times as the water was really shallow. We soon passed under the bridge at West Tanfield which is a beautiful area with a picturesque church and an old Pele tower.

Very soon we reached 'THE WEIR'. The first few times I went down this river I was very nervous and we got out before 'THE WEIR'. However last time down I went down it and didn't think it was too bad at all. Isobel was adamant she wasn't going down 'THE WEIR'

As she was in a group that was ahead of me I was surprised to see her non-chalantly go over the top of 'THE WEIR'. When I got down it I parked up alongside her and we had a chat. She said "I'm not going down 'THE WEIR'" I said "you just have" to which she replied "no, I mean 'THE BIG WEIR'". So again I told her she just had. Then it dawned on her that this was 'THE WEIR' and she had done it woithout a second thought.

We continued along the river to the top of the campsite. I thought it was prudent to quit while I was winning. So quite a few got out here. Adrian said he thought I would be fine doing the campsite bit but didn't push me to do it.

As we were putting the canoes on the car the others came back up from the bottom of the campsite. I learned that Chris, who is one of the more experienced paddlers, had been caught out just above the Hole and was fairly battered. I'm glad I stopped when I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment