Friday 19 March 2010

A whole week!

I have been very remiss this week and haven't done any blogs this week.

So starting on Monday 15th, I went swimming at Tong Pool. It was fairly quiet as usual but I was in the end lane which is actually two lanes. There is a guy who trains hard who always swims along the wall side and I usually keep out of his way and we respect each other. The only trouble this week there were two of those women in who insist on swimming up and down talking to each other and taking up the space of three or four people. I still managed to do 70 lengths of intervals in 45 minutes though.

Thursday 18th. Weird day today. Woke up early thought I might go for a run then thought if I'm going for a long bike ride that might not be the best idea. The internet had gone down and I spent part of the morning getting it sorted out so decided it was too late for a long bike ride and I would go swimming as usual. Then I got an email asking me to come down to Centenary Square for a photo opportunity for the internal newspaper, Pride at Work. So I got my gear on and cycled into town.

I met up with Richard, Jan, John, Tom and Woody and we did a few photos and then they all went back to work. So I thought I might as well go for a ride. I srt off up Thornton Road out of Bradford. I got about 4 miles up the road when I spotted a phone on the grass verge. I stopped to pick it up and got my feet tangled in the pedal straps and fell off the bike.

Once I picked myself up I realised my bike chain had come off, I rang Peter for instructions. Once I was covered in oil and I had jammed the chain down the wrong side of the bike Peter decided to come and get me....my hero!

I started to walk down the road with the bike but it was difficult as I had to lift the rear of bike to move it. So I leaned up against a lamp-post and waited for Peter.

While I was waiting two lads jumped over the walll across the road, looking like they were bunking off school. They crossed to where I was and one asked me if I had a problem with the bike. I told him the chain had come off and he said he's sort it. Sure enough in a few minutes he had got it back in place and I thanked him and gave him a wet wipe to get the oil off his hands. He said 'no problem love' and went on his way. How kind!

When Peter arrived I remembered the phone I had picked up and looked through the numbers on it. 'Mum' seemed like the best option so I rang it. The woman at the other end was a bit stern at first. Then she realised she was getting the phone back and thanked me. She came down to Halfords where I said I now was and picked it up. She was very grateful and we had a lovely chat.

Friday 19th, this has been a long missive so I will try to shorten this one. I did the bike ride to Skipton like I did a fortnight ago but this time I didn't finish at Bingley but kept going back into Bradford so 49 miles done in all today. My nether regions are a bit sore and I have a group training ride on Sunday. Oh dear!

No comments:

Post a Comment