Saturday 3 January 2015

First park run of the year

I was up very early but still managed to be latish for the park run as my daughter hadn't got her act together and I was dropping her off on the way.

On arrival I found the car park full so pulled out my wild card and parked in a part of the park not normally allowed but I have unofficial, official permission to park there as I help run a disabled cycling club from there.

By the time I got to the gathering area they were already well on their way down to the start so I followed on and managed to make my way into the crowd. When the starter went I was a bit trapped by people adjusting their headphones or running slowly side by side but soon made my way through them.

Our park run is three laps and towards the back end of the lap is 'the teeny, tiny hill'. Not a very long hill but fairly steep.  Now this where the power of the mind comes in. I have always been able to get up the hill running (well if you could call it that) but when you turn off the hill there is a dip which confuses your muscles. Your mind tells you that you are now on the flat so you don't have to work as hard but it is still uphill!  That's where I used to have to start walking.  Eventually I managed to keep going for longer and one day I got all the way round without stopping.

Each week when I get to half way round the second lap I wonder why I put myself through it!  Each week when I get to the end I congratulate myself for doing it and then chat to various people who I would never have known otherwise.

No PB by a long chalk today but I got round in dead on 29 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment