Thursday 1 January 2015

Sadly neglected Blog!

I don't know why I have left it so long since I blogged. Laziness mixed with doing lots of other things I suppose.

Since I last posted I have cycled to Germany and back for a fourth time in June this year.  However it was the first time that I cycled all the way there and all the way back without having to resort to (or be made to) getting on the van.  It was exciting, tiring, hot but mightily fulfilling.  I was the only female cyclist along with 19 guys! There were times when I felt like I wished I was anywhere but on the bike.  I also felt the fittest I have ever felt.

This year I also did my first ever triathlon.  Not a big triathlon but still a triathlon!  I had never, ever run after getting off a bike before.  It was a 400m swim in a small local pool.  I completed that in 7 minutes 37 seconds.  Out of the pool I was slowed down by not having a tri suit so had to get my swimming kit off and some cycling/running gear on which isn't easy when you are wet. 

The 14.5k bike leg was partly on an old railway line and partly on the road.  I thought I would struggle up.the hill on the road but I seemed to steam up the hill at some speed (adrenaline?).  After parking my bike up I started on the 5k run which was also up the old railway line and back.  As I said I'd never run after a bike session before so had already decided that I would be walking some of the way.  However I surprised myself by running it all.  Altogether the whole thing took me 1 hour 31 minutes.  As it was Easter Sunday I followed it up with a rather large Easter Egg!

Another triumph for me was a local 10k that I have done every year but one since it's inception.  I have never managed to run 10k without walking some of it.  Guess what?  I did it?  Started thinking I might manage it when I got to 9k but got a bit of cramp in my calf but told myself that I must keep going.  Holy macaroni, 61 minutes and I had done it!

Now 10k is one thing but a half marathon is another.  Again I had done the Great North Run on a number of previous occasions.  I had nothing to prove to anyone.  I wasn't being sponsored or anything so it was only for my own esteem that I was doing it.  I now knew I could do 6 miles without stopping so I would just see how far I could get running.

Steady away and feeling good I passed the 3,4, 5 and 6 mile markers (although I needed a wee). A very quick relief stop and on I went. Seven miles done and I was feeling pleased that I had topped my 10k success. Eight and nine miles passed and I was wondering when I would run out of steam.  Mile 10, hmmmmm, starting to struggle a little now as we passed through a housing estate and started up a long drag of a hill.  I told myself to keep going even if it wasn't much faster than a walk.  Then it hit me!  At the top of the hill I would be able to see the sea.  A downhill stretch and the last mile on the seafront was flat I could do it!  With renewed vigour I plodded on past the crowds and finished! OMG! 13.1 miles non stop (apart from a quick loo break).

So 2014 has been a rather successful year for my physical challenges.  

No comments:

Post a Comment