Friday 13 January 2012

January 8th

Second training ride for me and Mike scares me with the mileage estimated at 40 miles! That's a heck of a jump from 28 miles. that's for sure.

Anyway there were a few missing in action but 8 of us turned up at the right time and place.

We set off from Pool Bridge and hadn't gone far when my chain came off. Good start. We went on the Arthington Road towards Harewood and then joined a faster road and took the lanes towards Kirkby Overblow. That is some hill up to the village but I made it.

A quick breather and off we went again through country lanes and into Wetherby. We ambled through Wetherby and then joined a bypass where just over half of the group put on some speed and disappeared into the distance.

We eventually got to Askham Richard where we had a rest and a drink. Adey was suffering a bit and close to 'bonking' so we shared a Go bar and discussed various energy gels etc.

We then set off back towards Wetherby into the wind. It seemed a long way back but we eventually made it although Adey and I were struggling a bit by then.

We got into Wetherby and dived into a cafe that we have used in the past. Lots of banter and a plate of beans on toast and a cuppa were soon consumed. Then we were off again.

This is where it got hard for me. Several hills through villages and I was tiring. When we got to Kirkby Overblow area we stopped to regroup and I took a gel to keep me going. Then we whizzed down a very steep hill. I was at the back of the group and was admittedly struggling on the Arthington Road.

Arrived back to the car safely but very tired. A tad under 46 miles done! Bloody hell!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment