Sunday 30 January 2011

Day Thirty. Walkies again

I am such a lazy person.

The plan for today was to go canoeing with the club down the River Calder but my other half got up late and was grumpy so we never went.

A beautiful cold day but I was cold. I was cold last night and couldn't seem to get warm today either. I talked myself out of a run early on and nearly talked myself out of doing anything else.

However the dogs needed a walk so I talked myself out of the door eventually. We went a different way today. Down through the village and turned off through a small footpath that leads into a field. This is the first point where I can let the dogs off to have a run around. Sometimes there are horses in this field and Bear barks at them so I have to make sure they aren't too close before they are allowed loose in there.

We go down the field to where it becomes narrow and is fenced off either side of the path. In Victorian times there were a lot of mines around here and this path was the railway to move the spoil from the mine.

This eventually comes out onto a road and crosses onto another footpath. This goes downhill past the spoil heaps which are now well populated by our furry friends with long ears and cotton tails. This is where the dogs can have a really good run around as they can't do anything any harm down here. There is no farming livestock and neither dog has a hope in hell of actually catching a bunny. I carry on walking down and around the spoil hills while they are running around like lunatics.

Over a stile and I make sure Bear is on the lead until I know if there are any sheep in this and the next field. Nothing about so Bear is free again. He tends to follow Evie who is busy on the sent of the bunnies again.

Two fields on we come to a stream and this is where Evie always gets wet. She loves water and is straight in and nosediving for stones on the bottom. Bear doesn't mind getting his feet wet but is otherwise cautious where water is concerned. When I have had enough of the water we head up the hill, up a footpath which winds round to a little lane where we own a house that is rented out. A quick glance at the house and we are out onto the main road.

We cross the road and go up Station Lane which takes us past a vast array of houses. Small terraced cottages going up to very large detached houses with massive front gardens and electric gates. These must have been merchants houses back in the day. Past a school and we are at the bottom of our moors. Some ball throwing is in order here although they have had a lot of running about already.

We wander up the moors and back home to a nice cup of coffee and a scone, freshly made by Isobel.

Approx four miles done and dusted! One more day of Janathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment