Thursday 27 January 2011

Day Twenty Seven. More water

Got to Spenborough Pool today a little earlier than last week but not much. By the time I got in the water I had 41 minutes left so literally plunged straight in to the swimming.

There were two other guys in the fast lane who were front crawlers but we never got in each other's way. Part of the way through my lengths both guys got out and left me to it.

One way of keeping me from getting bored is to play with numbers in my head. I usually decide how many lengths I am going to do based on what time I have got but I tend to go for a realistic figure that I know I can achieve. I then play about in various ways the numbers, fractions, percentages etc depending on whereabouts in the sum of lengths I am.

The other thing I use in my swim is other people! I love it when there is someone in the same lane or the next one who is either slightly slower than I am or slightly faster.

If they are slower than I am then I work out where I will pass them again and try to beat that target. If they are faster then I work out where they will pass me and try to make it a bit further. This all helps to stop me from slacking the pace.

Anyway I managed to do a 48 lengths (a mile) in 41 minutes so I was quite pleased with that.

This evening is usually my circuits night but I got a text yesterday saying that my instructor's mum had died. After a few enquiries I got confirmation that class was off tonight so Peter and I went to see a preview of a new film called 'The Fighter' about boxing. (can that be counted as we were theoretically training with the boxers??).

1 comment:

  1. I tend to play with numbers when swimming as well. If I'm doing 40 lengths (1Km) I do 10 sets of 4, much easier figures to cope with!
    I did 40 lengths last night, the longest swim I've done in a long long time, I was pretty tired toward the end, but 40 I set out to do and 40 I was going to do. I could tell how tired I was when people pootling along with breastroke were overtaking me!

    Well done on the swim and very well done on the boxing training!

    ReplyDelete